18 May 2009

Alecs Mail Order Bride


Alec Baldwin is my favorite actor ever. He's a bit crazy.

update- Alec says sorry-

"I'd like to offer an apology and a clarification to remarks I made recently.
While on the David Letterman program, I joked that I might need a 'mail-order bride' to achieve the goal of having more children in my life. I believe that most people understood that this was a joke and took it as such. (A dated reference, no doubt, and another sign of my advancing age.) However, I do apologize to anyone who took offense. The comments of some Philippine government officials come as no surprise to me, either. Even the one by a former action film star-turned-Senator who beckoned me to come to the Philippines so he could "beat" me over my comment...."

MANILA, Philippines — Alec Baldwin's joke about getting a Filipino mail-order bride provoked a sharp response in the Philippines, with one senator saying Monday that the "30 Rock" star faces violence if he ever visits.

Baldwin, 51, who is divorced with a teenage daughter, said in a May 12 interview on "The Late Show" with David Letterman that he would love to have more children.

The Emmy-winning actor quipped that he was "thinking about getting a Filipino mail-order bride at this point ... or a Russian one."

Baldwin has been involved in a bitter dispute with his ex-wife, Oscar-winning actress Kim Basinger, over custody of their 13-year-old daughter, Ireland.

Philippine Sen. Ramon Revilla said Monday that Baldwin's comment was "insensitive and uncalled for" and an insult to millions of Filipinos.

He called the actor "arrogant" and said he is apparently unaware that the Philippines has a law against mail-order brides.

"Let him try to come here in the Philippines and he'll see mayhem," Revilla said, using a local idiom that implies the speaker will personally administer a beating.

The senator is a former action-movie star who occasionally still appears on Philippine TV.

-huffpost
*****************

Dear Readers,

What do you think?
Is Alec Baldwin being too insensitive?
Or is the Philippines too sensitive?
Yes there is a law against mail order brides.
But it still happens.
Let's be honest.
It happens in many countries, not just the Philippines.

WHY do people continue to use the Philippines as a punch line?
It's not just Alec Baldwin because I see it everywhere on the television.
It's a chronic problem that is not going anywhere anytime soon I'm afraid.
Is this common trend of Philippine bashing deserved?
People love to make jokes at the countries expense and it's sad because unless you've actually been there, one should refrain.
Why do people bash the country so much?
No one more though than Filipinos themselves.......
It's like a sport these days, unless you are a non Filipino.
Then watch out.

But then again, Australia is also made fun of relentlessly for this and that.
And America is bashed senseless, everyday in the media.
Canada is also made fun of continuously in the media.
I could list many countries that take an unusual amount of ribbing from the international community.. and script writers.....
Every country has their own problems and jokes will be made.

Who cares if a joke is made about mail order brides?
We have to learn to get over these things quickly.
I love Alec Baldwin, but it was a careless throwaway line.
For sure.

However, threatening violence against him in the media only FURTHERS the negative Filipino stereotype I'm afraid.
Violence never solves anything I'm afraid.
It may make you feel better for a while....
Pinoy style!
blog comments powered by Disqus