27 January 2009

Aussie Tabo Scandal?



Dear Readers,

Magic 89.9 DJ Mojo Jojo is having a spinout at Victorina Blog. And before it gets totally out of hand(signs are pointing that way already), I feel I must say something on this issue of the 'tabo scandal'(story below).

I love using my super fabulous pinoy tabo everyday. My dear sweet yaya Rose bought it for me on the island, therefore I cherish it. It's blue and I'm proud to use it, not only because it's Filipino or because it saves a ton of water in the shower but mostly because I think 'washing' is better then 'wiping'. A combination of the two usually leaves me feeling as fresh as a dewy spring bloom.

I love being super clean. Very Pinoy.

Before the most recent Victorina post by DJ Mojo creates it's own hot bed of racism (which has already started), I must say something, not only because I'm a VERY proud Australian but because I know a bit about our own brand of subtle/not so subtle racism which we pretend does not exist as most countries do. I will not stand by and watch people rubbish Australia when in reality, the man responsible should be held to account. NOT the entire country! Use the perpetrator as an example of what is totally unacceptable, not the nation. It's childish and immature. Too predictable.

I know we can't stand how some countries think their way is the only way. It reminds me of religion. Our way or no way! Ring a bell?

And this is a prime example of how one person being a total pig can sully a whole country. Again, sound familiar? It's so sad that this happened in my country because in many ways Australia is a fine place. It really is an amazing country. Except for the racism which is well, just about everywhere you look. In every country. Even the Philippines. Can you believe that?

I mean I've never seen worse 'in house' racism then when I lived in the Philippines.

The darker you are in the Philippines, the more fucked you are. Right?

I call it 'eating your own'.

And you do it. You eat your own.

I mean come on here, cast a stone for sure, but prepare to shield your own shame from rocks with the back of your hands. Filipinos may feel better lashing out on foreigners due to racism, but lets be serious here for a second. Racism starts at home. It grows from there. It permeates from within your own self.

So lets not throw too many stones, because they can be easily flung back at you.

In many cases, Filipinos are their own worst enemy. But most often, they are helpless even within their own country. It's a fact. Racism starts at home.

None of us are immune. We are all guilty of being racist to a certain degree.

Deny it and you lie.

The ironic thing is that an Australian will use a fucking potato chip bag to wipe their ass if there is nothing else around. And this is the reason this smacks of racism. Plain and simple. Agreed.

I just do not understand how some can dispute the rights of others to live well within their own cultural identities. And wait a minute, this guy was followed into the CR?

Someone actually followed him into the CR?

Remember, it was only recently that the Vatican acknowledge that Darwin's theory may be true, that we have, indeed, come from apes.
They still believe that the world was created in 7 days. So ignorance is everywhere.

Look peeps, Australia can be a very red neck country as can the Philippines. Racism is prevalent there as it is everywhere. It's just shear ignorance, bigotry and a lack of real experience in the wider world. I'm so sad about this awful incident and wish I could apologize for what happened in my country. It's disgraceful and I'm ashamed it happened. BUT Australians are also VERY upset over it. Do NOT paint the entire country with the same color of hate.

Because if you read the entire article, you will see that our reaction was shock for the most part, followed by remorse for the man involved. Trust me, Australians are furious over this.

There are dickheads everywhere in Australia. There are dickheads in every country.

Some people are simple and backwards with no real life experience beyond their borders. Most are homophobic. Some are monkeys pure and simple.

Knuckle dragging monkeys.

Not at all evolved within the parameters of decent humanity especially when it comes to other races. I've seen it a million and one times. All over the world.

Lost in their world of fear, hate, isolation and intolerance.

Many Australians are missing a 'sensitivity chip' when it comes to Asians and other races. At the moment, some people there are TRYING to stop West Africans from moving to their towns. They do NOT like the blacks.

Australians LOVED Sara Palin. Need I say more?

Pauline Hanson anybody?

But what I do not want to see is the entire country being tarnished because of this complete idiot. It's NOT fare. We have a lot of work to do, yes, but the country is getting better. Trust me.

Eat with a spoon. Eat with a fork. Eat with a knife. Your fucking feet if you want.

Use a tabo, toilet paper or a chip bag. It's absolutely no ones business.

Live and let live.

Grow up Australia for Christs sakes.

BUT this is a perfect opportunity for Filipinos to be rational and not 'do back' what you feel was done to you.

Two wrongs NEVER make a right.

*****************

Townsville Bulletin

A TOWNSVILLE man has been sacked for `un-Australian' toilet habits.

Amador Bernabe, 43, uses water to clean himself instead of toilet paper.

Mr Bernabe, a machine operator on a working visa from the Philippines, said it was his culture.

But on Thursday he got the shock of his life when his foreman followed him into the toilet questioning his toilet hygiene.

Mr Bernabe said his employer Townsville Engineering Industries (TEI) sacked him yesterday for not going to the toilet the Australian way.

TEI, which is located at the Bohle, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

The move has angered union bosses and politicians on the Australia Day weekend.

"I went to go to the toilet and I took a bottle of water when my foreman saw me and he said `you can't bring the water in there'," Mr Bernabe said.

"I asked why and he said it wasn't good but I said it's our way and he followed me into the toilet.

"I said it's my personal hygiene. I didn't break any law, I didn't break any rules of the company, why can't I do this, and he said he would report me to the manager.

"The next morning when I came in I went to punch my time card and he told me the manager wanted to talk to me in his office.

"He asked me what had happened and I explained to him and he said if I didn't follow the Australian way I would be immediately terminated and I said `sir, then you better terminate me'."

Australian Manufacturing Worker's Union state organiser Rick Finch said the incident was shocking.

"I think it is atrocious, an invasion of a person's rights and cultural beliefs," he said.

"The paradox of the toilet and a person's actions is something that no boss can even think about interfering with and the thought that bosses think they have the control to get involved in the toiletry is a gross invasion of an employee's privacy.

"If it wasn't so disgusting it would almost be laughable."

Mr Finch slammed the move as `bigoted'.

Greens spokeswoman Jenny Stirling praised Mr Bernabe for standing up for his rights.

"I commend the man for standing up for himself and I encourage the employer to have further talks with the union and the employee and I am sure commonsense will prevail," she said.

"I would like to see how Australians feel when they go to Europe where in places they don't have toilet paper."

Thuringowa MP Craig Wallace said the company should re-evaluate their priorities.

"Employers should be worried how their business operates rather than what their employees do in the loo," he said.

"I know in a number of cultures using paper to clean yourself is considered an offence because of their beliefs.

"If he is being hygienic and not bothering anyone else then good luck to him."

Mr Finch said employers should be more tolerant of their employees, especially in Mr Bernabe's case where he has been brought to the country by TEI on a 457 visa.

"At the end of the day we are a multicultural society and if they want to import workers then they need to be tolerant of other workers and other cultures," he said.

"They don't own these workers, they are borrowed and hired to carry out a job.

"The thought these bosses think they can lord it over these workers is insane.

"What it shows is the company's complete arrogance for workers' rights."

Mr Bernabe, a father of four, had been with the company since April 2008 and said he had no problems until yesterday.

"It's hard work but it is my skill so it is good," he said.

"The only problem was yesterday."



Love your Tabo.
blog comments powered by Disqus